Into the Wastes

Steel and Dreams

The morning had us up early and down in the mess for breakfast. Magni came up with the idea of seeing if there were any troops going in our direction that we could travel with for a time. We asked around a bit and found there was a troop leaving that morning lead by Sergeant Peregrine and we were granted permission to go along. We went about packing up our bits and pieces. I released my mess of hair and re-plaiting my hair while I watched Claudie cast a new spell. Using some of the material she had acquired the previous evening and speaking arcane words a small furry shape appeared in front of her. She explained that this fur ball was her familiar - a cat with a white body grey tail and paws and a sweet grey face. Her eyes were a striking blue, and she seemed very intelligent. Claudie said her name was Octavia.

We met the sergeant at the gate, and found that Rhyse was part of this troop. We had a good chat as we traveled. Unfortunately we were not traveling the same direction for long as the troop was just patrolling the border and we were going through it. As we parted ways Rhyse reminded us "not to trust the stars. They like to fuck with you!" 

The Wastes, I have to say I have never experienced anything quite like it. The way I have heard it described I imagined it as something like The Great Sands. Just bare and dusty, but still had the potential for vibrant life. I was wrong. The Wastes are dull, stale and eerily quiet. Everything was grey and muted, and the landscape was ruined. It truly looked like something had shattered the world and parts of it has melted. We came across pieces of buildings and outposts, but all were broken and crumbling. At one point, Mace was searching the ground for any trace of tracks or o signs of life, and saw some strange tracks that looked like large bird tracks. That evening, during my watch, there were some strange sounds. A creepy chittering. Luckily, Claudie had recently learned a spell that would set off an alarm if something we didn't want around crossed a certain line. It definately  gave us some peace of mind. 

The next day found us approaching a massive city. And I really mean massive! The buildings dominated the skyline and we could see it coming for miles. We were getting close when we heard them. The chittering, growling calls that I had heard the night before. The sound crept closer and proved to be coming from a disturbing creature. They were covered in white fur, walked on four thick bird like legs. Their eyes were blank and they had sharp visible teeth. There seemed to be five of them, slowly creeping towards us, then two more came from behind. These must be the Shrieks that Rhyse had told us about. We were in a bad spot.

To be honest most of this encounter went by in a blur and I spent a large majority of in unconscious due to a piercing shriek the creatures produced that just shuts a person down. All in all we were able to deal with them with a few well placed thunder claps, but both Magni and I were rather beat up. Claudie also had a moment of such fear that she couldn't function for a bit. It was rather sad to see. We were going to sit for a time and catch our breath, but a voice came out of the rubble and told us "I suggest you move on." A very broad regal looking elf fellow with a great sword on his back had crept up to our group. He told us his name was Gisir. He seemed genuine and offered to help us get to the city and a safe place. 

We decided to trust him and he lead us in a direct path into the city and to a large building. It seemed to be a grand temple that had been broken apart. While we walked, Gisir answered some of our questions. He had been traveling north and heard our thunderclaps and thought his assistance might be needed. We were grateful for that indeed. We learned that this was Laurelin, the old capital of the elves before the war. Gisir had grown up here...meaning he was over 800 years old. Learning this prompted Claudie to ask if he had ever met or hear of Claudette II the Seer of All Things. He was unfamiliar, but this was just another piece of the puzzle that is Claudie.

We got settled in the main room of the temple. On one wall was a beautiful detailed mural of two figures. One male one female. Both looked distinctly elf like, the man looking rather like Gisir. After more questions asked, Gisir told us that these were Califyr the Warforged, and Estë the Starforged. Also known as The Forged Twins. They were the ruling gods of the city and of the elves in the time before. The temple itself was called The Hall of Evening Light. As he told us some of the details of the gods, Gisir pulled out a wet stone and started sharpening his great sword. While he sharpened the blade rang with a clear crisp tone that resonated through the hall. I'm sure you can guess what our next questions were. He told us that his blade was made of Singing Steel, something that had been lost to time and the war. No one knows how to make it anymore and it is very rare. It was crafted from concentrated minerals found in the roots of Wishing Trees that grow where fey blood has been spilled. 

Gisir, Mace, and Ooru went to do a quick check of the outside while Claudie and I 'freshened up' a bit. Magni also stayed with us, just for some extra protection. Not that we needed it really. I mean, Claudie can light things on fire and create thunder, and I have a big hammer and can hurt people with my words. I think we would have been ok. Anyway, we found a trickle of water in an side chamber of the temple that seemed to have been a garden. The more I get to know Claudie the more I wonder how she ended up in Owl's Hollow with the rest of us. She is a kind woman, but does not strike me as an adventurer type. That being said I am grateful to know her and have her in our little group. She is kind hearted and very knowledgeable. She also has a need to be tidy, which seems to be something drilled into her by her mother. Typical rich, high society people thing. Her mother wants her to marry above her station and better the family name. However, her grandmother believes she is the answer to some prophecy and she needs to go to the mages school in Plossoria. Like I said, how did she end up with us?

The others came back, and we enjoyed a meal, which Gisir did not partake in with us, but we did have some more conversation. After our meal Magni and I had a search around the ruble of the temple. We found a nice boot knife that needed a bit of mending, and a split spear head that seemed to be very similar to the metal of Gisir's sword. I mended the boot knife and took that, and we brought the spear head back. Gisir's reaction to it was...odd to say the least. He went very still, but not in anger or ready to attack. He called it a 'mighty find' and left it at that. He told us it was called a Bident or a bifurcated spear and was made of singing steel. He told us to keep it quite what it is made of because of its rarity. After this we all settled into our bed roles.

Now I am going to confess something - this night brought me a strange and unnerving dream: I was home. I could smell the heat and lichen of the rocks. I was in an empty hallway in the city but it was quiet like it never is. I walk down the hall and small bits of fabric begin to fall around me, some cleanly cut, others frayed and torn. Walking down the hall I came to a pedestal, on it was a beautiful war hammer. It called to me. I reached for it and a hand shot out and grabbed me holding me back. I looked up...and saw myself. When I woke the echo's of the feelings shook me and I was not as rested as I should have been. Whether this dream was trying to tell me something...or if it was just a concoction of my mind and what ever the strangeness of The Wastes is I will never know.

That is all I have for tonight.

All my love Asotta.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Cragskeep

On the Road and Port Fairview

Travel to Millhill